Wednesday 18 March 2015

Into The Darkness

From reading several articles on the matter, good visual design encourages learners to engage with e-learning content and positively affects the way in which learners absorb the key facts

How do I know that I am achieving this? 

Right now we're working on scripts for our training videos. We know what message we want to get across, but does that mean what we're saying is all relevant; are they real learning points?

The experts say: 
  • Identify critical information and focus on that. 
  • The most effective designs are clean and simple.
  • Having one key element on the page will ensure learners remember it rather than getting distracted. 
  • Make key elements larger or use contrasting colours.
  • Design simple and intuitive navigation between sections with clear buttons and instruction so it is obvious what people have to do.
  • Consistency gives the course a unified feel and pulls everything together.

It's all theory to me right now as I still do not have any completed content to work with, but the planning needs to happen now so we're ready to roll when we get it. Here's where I turn to t'internet for advice. 

There's only so much I can glean from these online resources. I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing because ultimately I'm leading this project, I'm guiding others - the blind leading the blind, I fear. 

Tom Kuhlmann has a blog which shares 'practical tips & tricks to help you become a rapid learning pro'. Reading through it, I can't help but feel that you actually need to have a certain level of understanding of instructional design before you can really take these tips and run with them. 

I'm a novice; an enthusiastic novice but a novice nonetheless. I need a 'Dummy's Guide'; but let's see how it goes. 

"E-learning… The current adventure…
These are the voyages of AG-M.
Her continuing mission:
To explore emerging new learning trends…
To seek out new understandings; new ways to develop our species…

To boldly go where she's never gone before!" 


No comments: