Friday 16 August 2013

Awaken Your Inner Coach

I am responsible for organising and communicating all training, as well as ensuring that my company are supporting staff with meeting agreed goals to the best of their ability. It might be the maternal side of me but I like helping people feel supported and assisting them, in some manner, to achieve what they want to achieve.

Whilst completing my appraisal questionnaire the other day, I realised that a lot of my achievements were based on my feelings of 'support' and 'help' given to others, which got me thinking (again) about coaching.

For those who are not familiar, I refer to coaching as described by BusinessBalls:
"aims to draw out a person's potential rather than puts in aims and knowledge from outside. It develops rather than imposes. It reflects rather than directs. If effective, it is a form of change facilitation - it enables people, rather than trains them."

Instead of expecting work to front up cash for a course in coaching, especially when I have invested my own cash previously and not done anything with it, I signed up to a free webinar given by The Coaching Academy that ran yesterday at noon BST. They had Dawn Breslin as a guest speaker, and her offered tips to awakening your inner coach has inspired me to take a step back.

In my current emotional state - for those unaware please refer to an earlier post, Kicking a habit - it is very easy to make rash decisions, but what I need to do is take this opportunity to observe, reflect and review what it is I want out of my life.

She gave an example of a way to do this, by looking at pictures of ourselves before we were 12 years old and just remembering what we liked, what we wanted to do, how we approached new things, what characteristics we had, etc Reconnect with our core being, the essence of ourselves. Note down our Key Desired Feelings. What do I want to feel every day? And create goals from this. As she put it "Living from the heart is living from INSPIRATION"



Her main tip was to TRUST your intuition; acknowledge it, habituate it. Take baby steps, make a gentle shift.

Most people find it difficult to trust their their intuition for fear of... well, lots of things. If you do not want to just jump in, try tracking your 'truth' by writing it down. Dawn was very strong on observing and listening to your true feelings - eventually leading to your very own inner guiding system.

In time, the goal is that you will be able to draw out your own potential, develop, reflect and facilitate change for yourself. The trick is to just take it one step at a time.

No comments: