Thursday 23 January 2014

Reaching New Heights

Rock-climbing - HELL YEAH! Albeit it was indoors but still awesome.

I arrived at Mile End Climbing Wall not really knowing what in the world I was about to get myself in to. In line with my New Years Resolution, a friend and I rocked up - did you see what I did there ha ha, ahem - in our sports gear in good time to complete our medical waivers and change into our "too small for your feet" climbing shoes.

We met up with the other people in our group, two friends Lindsay and Emma, and a couple on their first date, Roshan and Asha. Our instructor, Phil, was a nerdy looking fella with a friendly and inviting humorous approach to teaching us the ropes.

Our first challenge was to make our way around the walls of the small introduction room without falling off, including the spread eagle stretch across the open door. At first I was bothered about scuffing or breaking my nails but after 5 minutes I was bouncing around like a kid every time I managed to complete a task correctly.

We moved on to ropes and were introduced to the frontal wedgie - ooouch. The harness needs to be tight enough around your waist that you can still breath, just, and your leg straps are just a bulky version of spanx to your arse cheeks.

Climbing to the top of that wall gave me SUCH a sense of achievement but when I touched the roof of the centre and looked down to ask if I could be let down, my heart jumped into my throat, my palms started getting sweaty and I felt the blood drain from my face. I was excited and shaking with silent joy but the experience is still nerve-wracking.

All in all I give the evening a BIG thumbs up. We're planning on signing up to their beginners course, where you learn all about how to tie the knots in the ropes and the control. Now that we've completed the tasters session we can go bouldering any time we want.

If you've never been, get on it!



No comments: